March 14, 2016

Twentysomethings Guide: The Future

I am 23 years old, and I honestly have no idea what will happen in the future. I've always been a bit of a control freak, and to be honest, not knowing what will happen with my future scares me. Like, waking up in a cold sweat scared. The carefree days of being a teenager are gone, and life is coming fast. There is no avoiding it, but how can we make sure that our life ends up being what we really want it to be and not some cheap imitation? How do we ensure that we lead a fulfilling life that shows that all of our hard work and determination was worth it?

Looking into a Crystal Ball
This sounds like such a millennial thing, but I believe in future boards. Future boards are collages of images and words that you select that depict the type of future that you want for yourself. It is a visual tool that can help you pinpoint exactly what you want out of your life, and can help to be a motivating tool. I sat down when I had a week off of work to create mine, and I'll include an image of it below. This is a great exercise for people that are visual learners, and need that visual stimulation as motivation. I have mine hung up in my bedroom in a place that I look at every morning so that I can remind myself why I am getting up so early and working so hard.

Write It All Down
Sometimes, it helps to write goals down. Along with my future board, I have a list of my long term hopes and dreams. This can also work for the short term if that is something that you are struggling with. I have my list written on a piece of paper on my wall and also in my phone so that I can have it with me all the time. I found that the most important part was writing down every single goal that I had, even the ridiculous or 'Is that even possible?' goal. These are your dreams, and no one should be able to squash them. Even yourself.

I'm Passionate About...?
I'm a firm believer that you can only find fulfillment in your life if you are doing something you are passionate about. Many people find this fulfillment in their personal lives by having families. Others find their fulfillment in their careers. Whatever you are doing, make sure you absolutely love it. Don't settle for less than you deserve out of your life. If being a mom is what brings you bliss then be a mom or work with children. If cooking is what makes you happy then be a chef. Do what makes YOU happy, and makes YOU want to get out of bed in the morning. You should not dread waking up in the morning and having to face your life. 

I found my bliss in teaching and working with children. I wake up every morning excited to see my students. Teaching children and sharing my passion for learning is what fills my soul and keeps me going on my worst days. I find myself smiling all the time at work because I am so happy. I find myself searching stores for teaching supplies and manipulatives that I can bring into my classroom. I find myself constantly Googling lessons and aids that I can use in my class. My job fulfills me at this point in my life, and I could not be happier. Find your bliss and follow it.

Talk It Out
When I am stressed and unsure about how my life will go I talk to someone. This could be a family member, friend, or even a therapist. Sometimes, voicing your concerns and thoughts aloud can make a huge difference and can help you work through things. My go-to person is my mother. She has helped me through so many quarter-life-crisis (lame name, but so true), and man have I had some doozies. There is so much uncertainty in life, and sometimes I just want to be a kid again and forget all of my obligations. There should be adult daycare or something. Anyway, talk to someone. It can really help.

How do you find fulfillment in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts in a comment. I also encourage you to leave a link to your blog as I would love to read them. DISCLAIMER: I will delete any comment that I feel is mean spirited. The world needs more positivity!