March 30, 2016

Twentysomethings Guide: Decluttering Your Space

My life is all kinds of hectic on the daily. I feel like I never get a chance to stop and relax. That is why it is so important for me to have a clean and organized space to come home to. No one wants to come home to piles of clothes everywhere and stacks of random crap lining the hallways. Unless that is your thing, then you do you girl!

Otherwise, get your life in order. I'm not going to go deep today and talk about decluttering your life. That is a whole bag of issues that I am not willing to go into today. I am going to let you know how to make your space look like it is out of a freaking home decor magazine. Okay, maybe not a magazine, but it will most likely look a whole lot better than the junk pile you are living in now. Now judgement, just advice.
Source

Why Did I Even Buy This?
I'm an impulse buyer. If I even remotely like something, even if it is completely impractical, I will purchase it. It's my sickness. I am embarrassed by how many new things I have hanging in my closet that still have tags on them or piles of crap that still have the sales stickers on them. I'm a big believer in donating to worthy causes, so about twice a year I have a closet clean out. If I haven't worn it in the past 6 months then I get rid of it. No point in hanging on to something that I might wear in future or that might come back into fashion. It feels awesome to know that your clothes are going to help someone else out, but it also gives you an excuse to buy more clothes. It's a vicious cycle, and I'm your personal enabler.

Throw It Out!
There is something extremely therapeutic about throwing things away. Do yourself a favor, grab a big ol' trash bag, and start throwing things in. Receipts and other things that I like to call 'life crap' can build up quickly. Go through these first, save what you need to, and throw away everything else. There is no reason to hang on to crap you don't need. Then, I take a look around, and decide if there are any items of decor or anything else that just doesn't fit into my life anymore. These either get donated or thrown away. Don't feel bad for throwing something away. There is no way that every single thing you own has a sentimental memory behind it. Get real, and start chucking!

Storage, Storage, Storage
Storage containers get me all kinds of happy. I like for everything to have a place in my life. Find space saving solutions that work for your life. My beauty collection is quite large, and takes up a ridiculous amount of space. I knew that it was the first thing that needed to be organized. My makeup collection is organized in plastic stackable containers that are a real space saver. My nail polish collection is pretty large, so I decided to use an over the door shoe rack to store them. Now, I have loads of room. 

My closet has undergone a transformation as well. In the past, I would just throw random junk in here, and hope that it would all sort itself out. Of course, that doesn't actually happen. Now, everything hangs on hangers, and I have an over the door hanger that stores my accessories, belts, and other small things. I have bins on the floor of my closet for shoes and all of the random crap I have no clue where to put it. At least it's in containers, right?

My room is also where I keep most of my school supplies for work. I have a large tupperware storage container that holds most of my things, and smaller containers for little odds and ends that I pick up. This takes up quite a lot of my space, so it is vital for me that I stay organized. 



What are your decluttering tips?


1 comment:

Feel free to share your thoughts in a comment. I also encourage you to leave a link to your blog as I would love to read them. DISCLAIMER: I will delete any comment that I feel is mean spirited. The world needs more positivity!