June 19, 2015

5 Things College Taught Me

"Let's get down to business..." Please tell me you know where that is from?! Bonus points if you do! I feel like that song should be playing right now. I am finally blogging again!

It honestly feels so good to be back. In case you missed it, I took a month long break from blogging to focus on finishing school. College has been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences in my life. I'm not going to lie, there were times where I wanted to just quit and get a job at Sephora, but I knew that if I stuck to it that I would benefit in the long run. Boy am I thankful I did. I am beyond happy to be finished, and to never have to write a freaking research paper again!


I thought that I would reflect on this chapter in my life by sharing some of the things that I learned in college. Now, I don't mean academic information. Of course, as a future educator I could talk about academics, but I mean the little life lessons that I learned. The do's and don'ts of college that got me through the past 4 years.

5 Things College  Taught Me

1.Taking My Education Seriously
This may seem like a no-brainer, but when I started college I knew that I had to take it more seriously than high school. In high school, I was able to get A's and B's without really trying. However, when I took that attitude to college I had a rude awakening when I got my first D on an assignment. Ladies, take it from me, school is no joke! If you are fortunate enough to attend college you should be taking it seriously and should be willing to put in the work. I finally listened to a professor at the beginning of my freshman year and changed my mindset. I graduated Summa Cum Laude from my school, and I owe it all to hard work...and lack of a social life. Just kidding!

2. Leaving My Comfort Zone
I am an introvert. I could happily live the rest of my life reading books in my room, but I knew that I wanted more for my life. I originally attended a college in Boston before I transferred, and I decided to leave my comfort zone by joining that school's Campus Activities Board. I am totally not the club joining type, but I am so glad that I joined on a whim. I was able to meet some really great people, learned how to run large events, and learned how to become comfortable speaking my mind. In life it is so important to do things that make you leave your comfort zone. It is the only way that you will grow, and you might even learn something new about yourself.

3. Taking Time For The Stupid Stuff
Of course, I am going to preface this by saying that I am not talking about illegal stupid stuff. That crap is stupid, and you just shouldn't do it period. I'm talking about late night movie showings, wandering around the town or city where your college is, or spur of the moment 'field trips' for pastries. My old roommate Sabrina and I had a tradition where we would go and get ice cream on the coldest day in winter. Sure, it wasn't the smartest idea, but it was so much fun. Always make time for silly things like this. These will be the times that you remember the most.

4. Making Time For My Friends
I always wanted a solid group of friends in my life, and I am thankful that I finally found those people when I went to college. The thing that many people don't realize about college is that you finally get to choose your friends because you like them, not because you have been going to school together for years and it is just convenient. I am a firm believer that you should always make time for your friends. I mean, these people are your surrogate family for 4 years, so it's important to take time to support them at their events, celebrate their achievements, and always be there for them when they need someone to talk to. My friend Janieva and I talk all the time, and I always know that I can text her at any time and she will be there for me just like I would be there for her.

5. Learning From My Mistakes
I would be a zillionaire if I had a dollar for every mistake I have made in my life. One of the first times I knew I was growing up was when I didn't have a breakdown when I made a mistake and decided to forgive myself and learn from it. Every time you make a mistake I want you to think of it as a lesson. Yes, it sounds cheesy, but it's true. No one is perfect. To be honest, perfect is boring. I have learned from each of my mistakes, and have come to realize that each mistake made me stronger. Forgive yourself and move forward.


Thank you guys for sticking with me, and for being so incredibly supportive. I will begin writing my normal beauty/lifestyle/whatever I want posts on Monday. Fingers crossed for a great summer! 

xoxo,
Meaghan

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Girl! You look fantastic and you should feel it too!
    I really like this post, very inspiring!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on graduating, Meaghan! I completely agree with your list. It's amazing how much growing and learning is done in college outside of the classrooms. Now the summer is free of papers and you're out in the real world! Good luck with your next steps!

    Wendy | Fashionable Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, and congratulations! I definitely agree with #1 - I was a serious slacker in high school, but college costs $$$ so it's pretty silly to goof around! I managed to graduate college with honors too even though I was a bad student before because I actually showed up to the lectures, listened, read, and tried to write good papers. Go figure. :P

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts in a comment. I also encourage you to leave a link to your blog as I would love to read them. DISCLAIMER: I will delete any comment that I feel is mean spirited. The world needs more positivity!