July 7, 2014

Beauty Products For Beginners: Drugstore!

I still remember the first beauty products I ever purchased. I saved all of my money from babysitting to buy a Dior mascara. The whole beauty world seemed so exciting, and a bit overwhelming to be honest. Everything looked so stunning, but I had no clue where to start. Today's post is for people who were just like me and want to try makeup but have no idea where to start. The best place for beginners to start is the drugstore so today's post is going to be all about the best drugstore makeup to add to your starter kit.
Face
BB Cream
BB creams are one of my favorite beauty products in general. Foundation can be tricky to start off with when you are just starting to wear makeup so I suggest starting with a bb cream. They are a hybrid between a tinted moisturizer and a foundation so they are moisturizing with just enough color. My favorite drugstore option is Maybelline's Dream Fresh BB Cream.

Concealer
Concealer is another one of those beauty staples that everyone should have. They are just the thing to cover up any acne, redness, or under eye circles. Physician's Formula Conceal RX and Maybelline's Fit Me Concealer are both affordable options that work just as well as the high end brands.

Blush
Blush is one of the products that when applied correctly can add color to your face and really make a look go from boring to stunning. The drugstore is one of my favorite places to purchase blush. The pigmentation of some cannot be beat, and the wide selection of shades means there is something for everyone. The Milani Baked Blushes and E.L.F. Blushes are ultra pigmented, but easy enough blend and use.

Eyes
Eyeshadow
Finding eyeshadows that work together can be so tricky when you are starting out. Thankfully, many drugstore brands have taken out the guesswork, and created trios and palettes of eyeshadows that create a complete eye look. One of the brands doing it the best is Wet n' Wild. Not only do they have their Color Icon Trios, but also their shadow collections that can be mixed and matched to create multiple eye looks. All of Wet n' Wild's eye products are under $5 and would be perfect for a beginner. The helpful guide on the back also shows you exactly where to place each shadow so there is really now way to go wrong.

Mascara
Mascara can be another tricky thing to pick. One of the first things to do is determine which formula you should be using. If you have oily skin then I highly recommend using mascaras that are waterproof so that you will not experience any smudging or the dreaded raccoon eyes. If you have normal or dry skin than you will be just fine using the normal formula. Maybelline makes so many fantastic mascaras in both formulations, and are also targeted towards different needs (length, volume, etc.)

Lips
Tinted Lip Balm
I found that the best way to test out lip colors was with tinted lip balms. Not only did they moisturize my lips, but they allowed me to test out different lip colors that were subtle without being clownish. I highly recommend the Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balms if you are just starting out and want to experiment with different shades to find the right one for you.

*Post contains affiliated links.

8 comments:

  1. I love the packaging of the E.LF. blushes I really want to try some!!x
    Katherine Rosie | UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahah I STILL don't have Wet n' Wild eyeshadows! Everytime I pass the display and see "Walkin' on Eggshells" I LITERALLY think of you Meaghan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You so need to pick it up. It is one of my most used trios. Xx

      Delete
  3. Found you through The Sunny Scenery's most recent video! I love nearly everything you've mentioned in this post! Wet n Wild has amazing shadows for beginners. ELF and Milani blushes are favorites of mine, and I have several colors from both brands. All three concealers you mentioned, plus the mascaras, are in my collection as well; and they're well loved! Great post! :)

    Hope ♡ | http://www.beautyandbliss67.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, I'm so bad with makeup and never know what to buy aha so this is so helpful! would love if you could check out my fashion blog :)

    Istylethereforeiiwear

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts in a comment. I also encourage you to leave a link to your blog as I would love to read them. DISCLAIMER: I will delete any comment that I feel is mean spirited. The world needs more positivity!