July 8, 2013

Beauty 101: How To Use Bronzer!

I posted on my Facebook page, (which you can find HERE, and I totally think you should "like", just saying), that I was taking requests for posts that you guys would like to read. A few of you got back to me, which is awesome, and I thought I would start responding to those requests. The first question I decided to start off with goes a little something like this.

The Question
"What's your opinion on bronzer? I've never used it but I wonder about the payoffs from using it."

I love this question. For the longest time I stayed away from bronzer because of my ultra pale skin. I thought that it might make me look a bit like an oompa loompa. I decided to embrace bronzer this past year, and you can too!


Chose A Flattering Shade
The first thing to do is pick a bronzer that you know will flatter your skin tone. If you are completely lost on which shade to use do yourself a favor and head over to a place like Sephora or Ulta. The people that work there are extremely knowledgeable and will be able to help you pick out your perfect shade. One thing that I will suggest is that you stay away from bronzers that have shimmer and instead opt for one that it matte. This will allow for a more natural effect.


Choosing The Right Brush
Once you have picked out your perfect shade it is time to decide which type of brush to use. If you are looking for an all-over bronzed look I would suggest a big fluffy brush. If you are looking to contour your face (make the face look slimmer using shadowing) I would suggest using a slightly denser brush. I will put photos of my favorite brushes for each below.
L-R: Real Techniques Blush Brush (All Over), Real Techniques Buffing Brush (Contouring)
Type Of Bronzing
If you want an all over bronzing, (I think that's the right term for it), than take a large fluffy brush, and apply it wherever your face naturally gets sun. For me, it's my forehead, tops of my cheeks, and chin. I also like to take a small amount and apply it to my neck to tie everything in together. Contouring is harder to explain, and can vary with face shape. You can click HERE for a detailed description. I figure since I'm not a makeup artist I should probably point you in the direction of someone who can explain it properly!


My Favorite Bronzer
NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder (Sunny)
My favorite bronzer is by NYC and it is their Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder in the shade Sunny. It is matte, and doesn't make my skin look orange, which some bronzers can. It also only costs $2.99! What a bargain!


Final Thoughts
Bronzer can seem scary at first, but with a little practice it will become one of the easiest parts of your makeup routine. It is the perfect product for days when you want to add a bit of warmth to your face and can help to give you that "I just got back from a tropical vacation" (but not really) glow. It also works wonders to shape the face and help create a slimming effect. It's okay to mess up the first few times you use it. Just keep checking how it looks in natural light, and you will soon be a pro!


I really hope this helped some of you out, and made bronzer seem more approachable! I promise, it's not that scary.

xoxo,

Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts in a comment. I also encourage you to leave a link to your blog as I would love to read them. DISCLAIMER: I will delete any comment that I feel is mean spirited. The world needs more positivity!