April 11, 2013

A Letter to My 10 Year Old Self!

Recently SoulPancake released a video on YouTube where people wrote letters to their 10 year old selves. I think this idea is brilliant, and couldn't help myself from writing a letter to my 10 year old self. I think everyone has had moments in their life where they wish they could have seen into the future to see how things would have turned out. Here is my letter.

Image found (here)
Dear Meaghan,

I'm not even sure how to start this. I guess I should start off by saying that you are a pretty fantastic kid. I know that it doesn't seem like it now, but you are. Now that it's 10 years later I can finally see that. Right about now you are starting to become self-conscious about your body and discover boys. Now, as far as boys are concerned, they aren't worth the trouble. A very wise teacher who you will meet in high school will tell you that boys aren't worth it until they are much older, and trust me they aren't even that great now. As far as being self-conscious goes I hate to tell you that you will continue to feel the same up until you get to college. I know it doesn't seem fair, but I promise you that it only made us stronger. Eventually you will learn this, but you are and will always be perfect the way you are. I know that there are going to be people who enter your life who will tell you otherwise, but pay no attention to them. They are not worth your time, and will ultimately mean nothing to you.

I know that you have a hard time when it comes to friends, but I promise that it will all change when you get to college. You will meet some girls there that will become the best friends you could have ever dreamed of. Future you is pretty awesome if I do say so myself. Just to let you know, you become a redhead after your high school graduation and love it! For some reason it's one of the turning points in your life that turns everything around and you allow yourself to be happy. I would like to think it had more to do with the graduation than the red hair, but with us who knows! You will also still have the same weird/dark/awkward/goofy sense of humor. Embrace it. Don't be afraid to be you. If people don't like you than show them the door, and know that it is their loss. Not yours.

You are probably wondering about Mom, Dad, and Morgan right about now. Well I am pleased to say that Mom is still the most beautiful and kind woman you will ever know. She will also remain one of your best friends (even though you will fight constantly through your teen years!) Dad and you will grow closer the older you get. You and him will bond over your dark sense of humor and love of anything Duck Dynasty (Don't ask...it's a TV show and you will LOVE it!). You will also begin to understand the sacrifices Dad and Mom had to make in order for you to have the best childhood ever. Appreciate that, and thank them whenever you can. Morgan has also grown up, and is now 14! I know, I can't believe it either. She has grown up to become one of the prettiest and most intelligent people you will ever know. As most sisters do, she will become a major pain in your butt, and you will secretly love every second of it. Cherish ever moment you have with her, and make sure that you tell her how much she means to you because sometimes she will need to be reminded. Also, you will have some pretty awesome pets, including a dog named Miko that unfortunately will pass away your Junior year of high school. Make sure you play with him as much as possible while you have him. I still miss him, and wish I still had my little buddy. Right now you have a cat named Finn who you swear is a person trapped inside a cats body. You'll understand what I mean later.

I guess to wrap this up I just want to let you know how proud of you I am. You will face struggles and people in your life that will test you, and I am happy to say that you were able to overcome all of it. Remember that even when it seems like you are alone that you will always have your family to be there for you. Always listen to what your heart tells you, and start believing in yourself. Also, we are still afraid of the dark and ghosts. I am sorry.

xoxo,

Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts in a comment. I also encourage you to leave a link to your blog as I would love to read them. DISCLAIMER: I will delete any comment that I feel is mean spirited. The world needs more positivity!